[squeak-dev] Re: shortening the World menu

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Mon May 19 16:00:14 UTC 2014

>> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Marcel Taeumel
>> <marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>>> Yes, the world menu seems overloaded. But you cannot just remove some entries
>>> because you can find them somewhere else. There is no shorter access to the
>>> tools "Browser", "Workspace", "Transcript", "Test Runner" besides using a
>>> keyboard shortcut. The "Open..." Menu involves additional navigational
>>> overhead (point&click&point&click...). Even the world main docking bar
>>> involves more mouse navigation overhead than using the world menu.
>>
>> We should _remove_ the inefficient ways of navigation and working from
>> the IDE.  When someone opens a Browser from the World Menu, they're
>> immediately faced with long scrolling lists and they have to click at
>> least three more times to get anywhere (not including scrolling!).
>> Talk about navigation overhead!  That route will _always_ be more
>> overhead than using the Search bar, or spawning browsers from existing
>> browsers.
>
> Not necessarily ;-).  In VMMaker I've included three utility methods added to the do... submenu that open multitab browsers with tabs for several classes.

Eliot, dude you are the King of modal browsing.  ;-)  Smalltalk
brought multiple overlapping windows to the world and you eschew that
for "multitab browsers..?"

There are basically three use-cases:

  1) Browse the package model (SystemBrowser)
  2) Browse the class model (HierarchyBrowser)
  3) Browse behavior, which may cut across the class model
(TracingMessagesBrowser).

Most people use SystemBrowsers to do all three, but its more
productive to employ each tool for its purpose.

> Here are some ideas that make browsers more effective:
>
> Remember the size and position of the last opened browser and open new browsers with the same size and position, changing the position if there's already a browser there.

I know there are a couple of strategies for window layout, did you try
flipping that preference (search for stagger)?  It may need some
improvement.

> Remember the last selected category and selecting that category ;if still extant) when opening new browsers

THE last-selected "Category?" -- so, I guess you're talking about one
global modal SystemBrowser?  Which tab?  ;-)

It sounds like you're opening your new browsers from a "global
starting point," (which provides no context for pre-selection), and
then scrolling to your desired place.  But if you "follow the trail"
by spawning your new browsers from an existing browsers, it already
does that..

Maybe you would like to have a "Recent Visits" list, just like we
already have "Recent Submissions"..