[squeak-dev] Re: shortening the World menu

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon May 19 18:14:39 UTC 2014

On 19.05.2014, at 20:08, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Marcel Taeumel
> <marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>> That's right. But what about Workspace, Transcript and Test Runner? Where do
>> you spawn them from? Anyway, I just thought of different ways for opening an
>> empty browser. :)
>
> My thoughts are, since the World menu bears responsibility for
> providing access to the entire system, it should not also be a
> short-cut mechanism.  There are already so many ways to make
> short-cuts.  The "open.." menu can be tacked up onto the desktop.
> Individual menu entries can be cloned and dragged straight into to the
> Docking Bar.  There's also Control+3 and also the hot-keys.
>
> With all of those, additional access from the main World menu starts
> to become less valuable than a shorter World menu.

The World Menu is the most immediate thing you can get access with.
It has to has the most relevant short cuts. IMHO, lets put “the whole system”
somewhere else, be it in a submenu of the world menu, or one of the
other menus.

The left-click menu is the only thing that predictably always gives
the same result (not true for the other menus, thanks to platform differences
and swap mouse buttons) AND is discoverable (not true for shortcuts and
whatever ctrl-3 is, I have no image at hand).

Best
	-Tobias