[squeak-dev] A smooth interface to the old world so we don't end up sharing a grave with smalltalk

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue May 20 21:16:04 UTC 2014

On 20-05-2014, at 12:30 PM, Chris Cunnington <brasspen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 20, 2014, at 3:24 PM, karl ramberg <karlramberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And the author  seems to agree and finishes his to do list with:
>>
>> "The key parts of our plan for Aurora are:
>> 	• a smooth interface to the old world so we don't end up sharing a grave with smalltalk
> I love statements like this one.

Me too; the only thing that a 'smooth interface to the old world’ will do is make sure people use your new stuff as if it is the old stuff. That’s what happened with all those stupid languages that use C syntax ‘to help people get used to’ OOP (or functional, or whatever) and end up being JADCC in practice.

tim
Strange OpCodes: XER: Exclusive ERror