Beep strangenesses ( was Re: [squeak-dev] issue allocating more memory for the image)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat May 24 20:38:54 UTC 2014

On 22-05-2014, at 3:47 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> It’s something to do with SoundService default etc.

I’m still trying to puzzle out why on earth we ended up with the system beep being involved in a complex services regime. The beep is supposed to be a trivially simple way to get a noise out of the system when you need to have some alert that doesn’t rely upon anything complex. That’s why it is a primitive; that way if you need something more complex because a noise isn’t appropriate (or possible?) you can make it flash a light or set off some dynamite, or (rather mundanely) write to a console.

Did anyone come up with an especially good reason for the complication? I’m willing to be persuaded if there is a good argument.

tim
Strange OpCodes: FSE: Fake Serious Error