Beep strangenesses ( was Re: [squeak-dev] issue allocating more memory for the image)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon May 26 17:47:47 UTC 2014

(mail swears this didn’t get sent but .. I dunno. (re)sending just in case)

On 24-05-2014, at 3:42 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>> But a dependency on system sound, as we've seen, is problematic.
>
> This is Squeak, sound _shouldn't_ be problematic.  But I guess that's
> not reality at least in Linux..

Leaving aside the insanity of linux sounds stuff (which I just spent a *lovely* week fighting), the problem in this case is witihin the image. Because the sound service wasn’t set, it triggered a very annoying UI artefact. We could fix the immediate problem by setting the default and the bigger problem by simplifying how the beep is done. I really don’t see any need for a beep to be settable to a full dolby 7.1 rendition of a hip-hop cover of Ode to Joy.

tim
Strange OpCodes: RLBMI: Ruin Logic Board Multiple Indexed