[squeak-dev] Spur Identity Hash [was: The Trunk: System-cmm.689.mcz]

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 18:17:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
wrote:

> >> Remember that Spur has a common header format for both 32-bit and 64-bit
> >> versions, so in both there is a 22-bit identityHash and hence the
> >> identityHashes of all objects in a 64-bit Spur image bootstrapped from a
> >> 32-bit Spur image will be _unchanged_.  Convenient. So no need to worry.
> >> And it should be the case that a freshly bootstrapped 64-bit Spur image
> does
> >> not need to be rehashed to function properly.
> >
> > Suprising that their identityHash needs to change for Spur
>
> It didn't *have* to change. Eliot could have just re-used the old identity
> hash of nil, true, and false. He probably just didn't think to do that.

Right. I thought since identityHashes would be changing (class
identityHashes must change for Spur's class table, and there are more than
2^10 objects in an image) I would assign new hashes to all objects in the
image that needed them and start with 1, 2 & 3 as the hashes for the first
objects, nil, false & true.  Any system which relies on identityHashes not
changing from V3 to Spur will be broken anyway, so why keep the hashes for
those objects?

> but not to go to 64-bit..
>
> Spur already increases the number of bits to 22. It does not increase it
> again for 64 bits. 4 M different hashes should be enough, just like 4 M
> possible classes should be enough ;)
>
> > Wait, I thought one of the benefits of 64-bit was to finally increase
> > that small identityHash?
>
> 22 > 10

Right (see both Bert's & Levente's responses).  Spur lifts the number of
identityHashes from 2^10 to 2^22.  There's no room for more in a 64-bit
system.  SPur is designed to go beyond 32-bits, but it isn't designed for
terabyte heaps.  One step at a time ;-)

- Bert -

--
best,