[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] New Cog VMs available

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sun Nov 16 21:59:57 UTC 2014

Hi,

as I wrote I run an AidaWeb server. Main reason is, that that is running
lots of processes, fiddles with the call stack and I have an automated
test which keeps it busy for several minutes.

Blease (too nice to correct :-) note that I said it seems, because this
is a really shaky kind of benchmark. I only measured the reply times in
Firebug after having made sure that all static content is in the browser
cache. And one should not compare 4.3 image based results with 4.6 image
based results. And Cog was the wrong term,
stklinuxhtARMv6-14.45.3126.tgz was what I used. I assumed it was Cog.....

Basically I was surprised how good the standard VM was performing. For
the whole test (which loads the Pi with about 50% CPU) I got the reverse
result of what I expected. Standard VM fastest, Spur slowest. Just tried
again, same result. No idea why. Standard VM and StackVM ran the same
image. The important result was that a complex application (Webserver +
application model, mostly Ajax updates) ran stable with all VMs.

In the next days I'll run simultaneous users on the Webserver and some
other applications which ran for days or hours on the standard VM
without any crash.

Cheers,

Herbert