[squeak-dev] windows in all projects?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 22:25:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 2:22 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 01:23:25PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 9:45 PM, Eliot Miranda <
> eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >    occasionally I find it useful to have a window that is always
> present in the current project, so that wen I change projects the window
> either moves to the new project, or is in all worlds.  Is there a way of
> doing this in the standard system?  (I can't see this from reading the
> labyrinthine project enter code, but I could be missing something ;-) ).
> Anyone have a changeset to do the same?
> >
> > Wow, I remember using this all the time back in the Old Days. I think
> you wrote the code for MVC to do it. Or maybe it was me after talking with
> you about it? Dunno.  IIRC it wasn?t at all hard in MVC-land but after
> looking at how this sort of thing is done in Ankh-Morph-pork I?m not sure
> it?s intelligible to mere humans.
> >

> Interesting question. Karl's suggestion of using a shared flap is probably
> the quickest expedient. But more generally:
>
> MorphicProject and MVCProject would need to handle this differently as
> would
> (the regrettably yet to be implemented) SeasideProject, AidaProject, and
> CuisMorphic3Project. So the concept would make sense within a given species
> of Project.

When I did this years ago I just added a per-window property and had the
Project enter code check for the property and move it if set.  So one could
move windows between projects by setting, entering and unsetting.  That's
simple.  But I hoped someone had already done this.  The Project code is
complex enough as it is...

--
best,
Eliot