[squeak-dev] Image Segment semantics and weakness

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 04:42:59 UTC 2014

Hi Mariano,

I've stripped some context here (it can be found by reading the original thread on squeak-dev) but I did want to respond to one or two things you said, so...

> On Oct 20, 2014, at 6:55 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1) I found only few users of ImageSegment

If by users, you mean people (as opposed to something like senders or implementors,) did you count the people using EToys? I'm afraid my memory is telling me that it's used in saving and sharing projects (I'm not sure though.)

> 2) The few users I found, were NOT using the real purpose of ImageSegment, that is, object swapping. It was used instead as an object serializer. For that, they use #writeForExportOn: which ended up using SmartRefStream for the rest of the objects.

Seems legit. Fair enough.

> 3) I noticed I could achieve the same performance or even better with an OO serializer built at the language side, with all the benefits this means. Of course, having Cog helped here....

I suppose I'll be reading your paper then, won't I? :)

Cheers,

Casey