[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] re: Image Segment semantics and weakness

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Wed Oct 22 18:56:52 UTC 2014

What I can tell you is that instability raised by just having one single pointer not in the root objects
pointing to an element in the segment and the implication of this pointer on reloaded segments, (yes I do not want to have two objects in memory after loading) makes sure that we will not use IS primitive in Pharo in any future. For us this is a non feature.

IS was a nice trick but since having a pointer to an object is so cheap and the basis of our computational model
so this is lead fo unpredictable side effects. We saw that when mariano worked during the first year of his PhD (which is a kind of LOOM revisit).

Stef