[squeak-dev] Re: compiler whitewash

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Oct 23 20:53:54 UTC 2014

Hmm... I agree that you cannot easily analyse statically some called method
and make sense out of it considering the initialization of its
arguments/receiver. But what about:

| x |
[x notNil] whileTrue: [
   ... ifTrue: [x := #foobar]].

In this case, the initialization is kind of deferred in the very same
method. Maybe I wrote bad Smalltalk code, but I had this several times.
Finding some object in a complex structure or so... So this could be
detected, right? :)

[It is not that I am really that annoyed by these compiler warnings because
I made them non-modal in my tools.]

Best,
Marcel