[squeak-dev] ComSwiki4.5 in the All-In-One

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 15:11:41 UTC 2014

> On Oct 28, 2014, at 10:14 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/14, 5:55 PM, "Chris Cunnington" <brasspen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Edgar
>>
>> Wow. This stuff looks great. I¹m glad someone has lots of knowledge of how to
>> use the Swiki. I¹m not going to pretend I do. There¹s quite a lot to it.
>> And, yes, your help would be great. I¹m impressed you have Bootstrap on a
>> Swiki.
>> Time to start editing and adding to the Swiki Swiki, I guess.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> Ok, I check for start with a Bootstrap bar on top your All in One.
>> Send to youfor review, enhance, etc when ready.
>>
>> Edgar
>
> I think maybe is time to move to newer and cute web frameworks.
> Consider look http://190.189.179.48:7070/browse, courtesy of last of our
> cousins of Pharo.

> Maybe have more sense build on top of this ?

No.

> ComSwiki was the state of art back in  2006, but not now

More like 2002. I refer you to “Squeak- Multimedia and Personal Computing” (And if people want to read about Flow sockets and streams which power Spoon/Context, they can do so on pp. 170-173).

> Edgar

What are we trying to accomplish here? Why revisit the ComSwiki?
Because it is the institutional memory of the Squeak community online. It is over ten years of articles. Over 6000.
We want to preserve that. We want to build on that.

In some ways, what I’m about to say is similar to the recent discussion about ImageSegments.

There are two things to consider here: the data; and, the application.

Ultimately we don’t care about ComSwiki or XML files. We do care about the institutional memory of the community. That’s the priority.

Let’s look at data. These articles are in XML files. People here sneer at XML. Good for them. But notice that these files have lasted a decade. That’s incredible. Show me any data gathered by Pier or SmallWiki or TinyWiki that has lasted a decade. Nowhere to be found.

Before Lukas was Mr. Seaside, he was Mr. Wiki. He didn’t like XML. At all. He stored everything in some binary blob. If I give you a random binary blob from ten years ago, how well is it going to explain itself? If I give you an image segment from a decade ago, you wouldn’t know where to start. XML explains itself. Very clearly. Mark Guzdial made an informed decision to keep documents independent of applications. In the Relax NG book from O’Reilly that arrived yesterday on my doorstep (“Relax NG”, 2004) it says exactly that on pg. 3.

That is a powerful principal of the Swiki design. It has served us well. Lukas can come back from Google right now and say it’s not useful. Avi could show up and talk about Image Segments and DabbleDB and I don’t think they could refute how useful this principal is. You could probably say the same thing about Fuel. It’s the reason SQL is popular.

We are making the ComSwiki backward compatible. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. The Swiki is remarkably well designed and remarkably reliable and has a clear separation between application and data.

The ComSwiki can be superseded but there in no need to do that anything faster than a snail’s pace because it just works.

Chris