[squeak-dev] Urgent: how to define a global?

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 01:10:41 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>> Thanks guys, those both helped.  After defining X I found I could do a
>> "Smalltalk importSelf" to get it copied into the 'bindings'
>> Dictionary.
>

> #importSelf is not what you want do, because that'll add the same policy to
> your environment again.

Oh wow, and it even will allow duplicates..(!?)  I didn't even notice
that because I was just interested in the second part of that method.

I was just operating as a Smalltalker; backtracing what was causing my
#X lookup problem, and found it was because it wasn't in 'bindings'.
So I browsed who ever adds anything into 'bindings'?  Only #importSelf
and #showBinding:.  So to get the "side-effect" I wanted, I
inadvertently also added a second BindingPolicy.  I manually removed
the duplicate BindingPolicy, thanks for the heads-up.

I think Squeak's frameworks should be implemented in a way that caters
to its own IDE, so Smalltalker's can figure things out by those normal
tracing activities (senders, references, implementors).  #importSelf
seems like a not-so-good method.