[squeak-dev] How to use Tracing Messages Browser (was: Visual Studio plugins starting to catch on)

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 19:58:40 UTC 2014

> What I'd like to see is help managing the set of windows that result form an activity, say a query to consider making some small change.  This might include a number of senders queries  some implementors queries etc.  it would be great if I had some way for treating this as unit, eg being able to close them all at once, or put them in a labelled supermorph, or... Chris Muller's tracing senders goes some way but doesn't really help much, and has no back button, so I find my original intent obscured by sub queries and sub results.

That's why it provides gestures for rapidly trimming the sub queries
and sub results to only the relevant ones.  It's about "building a
Trace", which is much more powerful than modal "navigation".  For
example, you can easily represent *multiple* paths of code that cut
across classes quickly and easily in a single TMB.

Your comment indicates you really should give it another try.  Let me
help!  TMB is only about adding and removing.  Here are the MINIMUM
gestures you need to use TMB effectively, but it sounds like you only
used the "Adding gestures" but not the "Removing" ones.

Adding gestures:

  command+n in the upper-pane:  Outdent senders
  command+m in the lower pane:   Indent implementors
  command+n in the lower-pane:  Spawn senders in a new window

Removing gestures:

  swipe-select in the uppser pane:  select multiple methods
  shift+command+I (capital "Eye"):  invert the selection at the current level
  command+d in the upper-pane:  remove the selected methods from the list

Example:

So, when I have a method named something like at:, and I only want to
see the one in MY particular class(es), after pressing command+m on
"at:" in the lower-pane, I simply single-select the one(s) I want in
the upper-pane (notice, they're sorted alphabetically, so easy to
find), and then press Command+Shift+I followed by Command+d.  Done.

Example 2:  Go "back"

You pressed "Senders" in the upper pane and got all these senders.
But you decided you don't want them afterall.  Just press Command+d,
and you're "back" to where you "were".   :)