[squeak-dev] Squeak VM on Debian? (http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/cogvm_2776-1_i386.deb)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Sep 5 12:10:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 01:40:41PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 05.09.2014, at 12:17, Chris Cunnington <brasspen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Please try this:
> >
> > cogvm --version
> >
> > It all made sense to Ken. And I don?t suppose he figured this would be for general use.
>
> It wasn't, and we probably should not distribute it. It was just to keep the server maintenance sane.
>
> Besides, it only works on Debian-derivatives. Redhat derivatives (Fedora, SuSE, etc) use rpm.
>
> > And I guess I?d gotten used to it, as I?ve installed it on three systems.
> > I?ll change the script from ?cogvm" to ?squeak?, which is what people would reasonably expect.
> > It?s a great point. Thank you for raising it. I?ll make a new one.
>
> Indeed. It should be "squeak". However, that "squeak" script should pick the interpreter or cog depending on the image.

A technical note - Ian's squeak start script contains all the hooks to do this,
but it the near term it is not a practical solution, in part because 64-bit
plugins cannot be shared with a 32-bit executable in the installation.

The reality is that cogvm and squeakvm are different, and they should not
stomp on each other's name spaces. So I personally think that using the name
"cogvm" is a reasonable solution to the current name space conflict.

But regardless of my opinion, a change like that should not be distributed
through squeak.org unless the interested parties agree.

At a minimum, Eliot should agree in this case, and it would also be nice if we
all can agree on a name convention that works around the current name conflict.

Dave