[squeak-dev] Is anyone else running a 64-bit image on a regular basis?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Sep 7 14:21:21 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 04:01:45PM -0300, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:

> On 16-07-2014 00:27, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > I tend to switch back and forth between a variety of VMs and images (Spur, Cog,
> > interpreter VM etc). Lately I have been doing my updates from a format 68002
> > 64-bit image. Just curious, is anybody else out there using a 64-bit image on
> > a regular basis and keeping it updated from the trunk development stream?
> >

> It works but:
>
> a) Seems to be slow (although I'm used to the cogvm which is faster than
> SqueakVM)
> b) Somethings just itch my ears like:
> b.1) Compiler recompileAll fails (and shouldn't)
> b.2) Smalltalk condenseChanges that works for 32bit images work, fails
> in 64bit image.
>
> b.2 is not that important but b.1 shows that there is code that cannot
> be re-compiled and it's not a good sign.
>
> (using trunk updated 64bit image and 4.10.2-2614_64bit SqueakVM)

I fixed a small but nasty bug in one of the primitives that appears to have
been the cause of quite a few problems:

 http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2014-September/016443.html

With freshly compiled VM, Compiler recompileAll and Smalltalk condenseChanges
are working again in a 64-bit image.

Dave