[squeak-dev] How can I listen to my app?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 19:42:27 UTC 2014

I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
beeps into strategic locations.

But sound is an area where I have exactly zero experience.  I want the
sounds to play but with minimal impact on the running program; i.e.,
I'm willing to make the beeps very short, but even a 10ms beep (would
I even be able to hear that?) would slow the program down.

And yet, if I tried to play them in the background, they will not be
in-sync with with the real-time state of the app.  I suppose another
option would be to record the events I'm interested in and their time
and play them back later, but I'm more interested in the *real-time*
state.

Finally, how can I play any sound at all with Squeak and Cog on Linux?
 When I try some of the demo sounds on FMSound, there is no sound and
I see this message in the console:

    sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory

Of course, no other apps on this machine have any trouble playing
sounds, so is something simply pointing in the wrong place?

Thanks.