[squeak-dev] How can I listen to my app?

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 23:10:37 UTC 2014

On 9/11/14, 4:42 PM, "Chris Muller" <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've decided I want to get a feel for what my app is doing and at what
> rate by, literally, listening to it.  I want to put in some brief
> beeps into strategic locations.
>
> But sound is an area where I have exactly zero experience.  I want the
> sounds to play but with minimal impact on the running program; i.e.,
> I'm willing to make the beeps very short, but even a 10ms beep (would
> I even be able to hear that?) would slow the program down.
>
> And yet, if I tried to play them in the background, they will not be
> in-sync with with the real-time state of the app.  I suppose another
> option would be to record the events I'm interested in and their time
> and play them back later, but I'm more interested in the *real-time*
> state.
>
> Finally, how can I play any sound at all with Squeak and Cog on Linux?
>  When I try some of the demo sounds on FMSound, there is no sound and
> I see this message in the console:
>
>     sound: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
>
> Of course, no other apps on this machine have any trouble playing
> sounds, so is something simply pointing in the wrong place?
>
> Thanks.

You can do in FunSqueak 4.6 alpha, also listen .mp3 and play the old Heads
singing.
See first video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKDUP9xQY4c
Still fighting with very old issues as MorphicWrappers load but can't work
as previous FunSqueak 4.2.
Anyway I upload complete image and Cog3060 for mac with all same plugins as
Squeak 4.5 All in one this weekend.

Edgar