[squeak-dev] Transcript warning in MVC

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 04:35:56 UTC 2014

I've been using MVC. It's still buggy, but mostly usable. I thought that if
someone just used it for a little while, we'd know where most of the worst
bugs are.

Currently tracking two issues, one with errors occurring after bringing up
context menus (haven't started really digging on that one yet,) and a
warning which appears for reasons unknown in the Transcript. This is about
the latter.

Warning: view contents not found.

I spent probably ten minutes sifting through all of the methods containing
the string 'Warning:' when the whole string didn't turn up any hits, and I
do think I have a lead.

It looks like the latter issue is occurring in
StandardSystemView>>setUpdatablePanesFrom:, but I'm not sure why yet. The
method itself seems pretty straightforward, but for some reason, the block
temp aPane is ending up nil.

If I'm reading this right, aPane is assigned the value of sending
#subViewSatisfying: to a StandardSystemView (in this case, self,) and the
argument seems to be a block specifying a constraint, and I may as well
paste in the send.

aPane := self subViewSatisfying:
[:pane | (pane isKindOf: PluggableListView) and: [pane getListSelector ==
sel]].

This happens right before the nil check, which probably means that the
constraint doesn't match whatever #subViewSatisfying: searches (or
#subViewSatisfying: is just borked.)

View>>#subViewSatisfying: is trivial, and indeed returns nil on no-match.
The variable subViews just doesn't have what the method is looking for. I
set a breakpoint in order to learn what was actually in there, but alas: it
doesn't repro when I'm looking, which is more or less an "all stop" for me
on this one.

Does anyone know this code well?

TIA,

Casey