[squeak-dev] Re: Spur vs Cog: FileDirectory paths

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 19:10:35 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 14.09.2014, at 17:44, Ben Coman <btc at openInWorld.com> wrote:
>
> Eliot Miranda wrote:
>

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eliot,
>>
>> OK, the good news is it's not a Spur bug. I mistakenly checked spur +
>> trunk46-image.image against cog + trunk-fully-updated. Not the same
>> thing.
>>
>> The bad news is that
>>
>> FileDirectory default on:
>> 'C:/Users/frsheara/squeak-ci/target/cogspur.r3072/cogspurwin/' gives
>>
>> 'C:\Users\frsheara\squeak-ci\target\C:/Users/frsheara/squeak-ci/target/cogspur.r3072/cogspurwin/'.
>>
>> But I'm OK with being told "#on: should only take a relative path,
>> indicating a subdirectory of FileDirectory default; it's not a bug".
>

> Bah, I'd fix it.  I fixed it for unix.  It's only a little bit of checking
> to see if the path starts with letter colon.
>

> I didn't see all of this thread, but I presume you are distinguishing
> between relative and absolute pathnames.  As well as the initial
> letter-colon, an absolute pathname also requires position 3 to contain a
> slash.
> See the "Paths" section only of...
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx#fully_qualified_vs._relative_paths
> cheers -ben
>

> I have no idea why you guys are discussing this. It's all coded up in
> DosFileDirectory>>fullPathFor:, and working fine.

I think we should try to wind down our use of the stringified API's
and move toward the object-API's.  Instead of asking a FileDirectory
its fullPathFor: someString (or fullNameFor: someString), instead let
the Entry's do some work instead of only being "data objects"..  i.e.,
ask the FileDirectory for its (entryAt: someString) and then send
#fullName.