[squeak-dev] re: The Dilemma: Building a Futuristic GUI for Ephestos

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Mon Sep 15 22:06:45 UTC 2014

> [Ffenestri] does not constitute a replacement for the current window
> system though does it? But Vassili's work can be.

     Of course. Until a couple of hours ago, though, I didn't know it
existed.

> We had it in production at customer sites.  We could use it for
> development.  It was complete, in the sense that one could open
> arbitrary system windows as native windows, switch them back to
> "virtual" windows, snapshot etc and everything would keep working.
> That's "working".  With great respect to Tim and John, their work in
> Ffenestri is not the same thing, is it?

     Of course not. :)  Whoa, you seem to be under the impression I'm
advocating for Ffenestri here in 2014. I'm not; I only wanted some
detail as to why it's no longer interesting.

> Being critical is not being insulting.  It's merely being objective.
> At least I hope I'm being objective and not insulting anyone.  It is
> not my intent.

     Yikes, I never thought you got anywhere near insulting anyone. Yes,
criticism is essential, that's why I asked to hear some. :)

     thanks again,

-C

--
Craig Latta