[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] The Dilemma: Building a Futuristic GUI for Ephestos

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Fri Sep 19 04:36:13 UTC 2014

On 09/15/2014 11:54 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Agreed.  But one real problem with the Squeak/Pharo UI is the lack of
> native windows.  There is an old project Graphics-External-Ffenestri but
> AFAICT it isn't being used.  But there /is/ a really good prototype of a
> native window system above Squeak done by Vassili Bykov in Newspeak.
>   The native windows contain morphs, but anything, including MVC, can be
> present. This provides native Win32 Windows (doing other platforms is
> merely work) /and/ the ability to snapshot and bring back up windows on
> a different platform (e.g. open in win32, snapshot and bring up in
> Squeak/Pharo Morphic windows, or vice verse), and the ability to do this
> dynamically.  Is anyone motivated to port the Newspeak code back to
> Squeak/Pharo?
>

> If you're interested, contact me, or Vassili, or Bob Westergaard and ask
> about Brazil (think plumbing).

By coincidence, this week I dusted off my project (shelved about a year
and a half ago) to port Brazil and Hopscotch to Smalltalk. And have made
some progress, though it's still very early stages.

If anyone else is interested in helping move this forward more quickly,
let me know...

Regards,

-Martin