[squeak-dev] A bug with class renaming

Mateusz Grotek unoduetre at poczta.onet.pl
Thu Apr 2 15:59:20 UTC 2015

> I cannot reproduce this.
> Class renaming works just fine in trunk and 4.5.
> What version is Squeak reporting?
>
> Best
> 	-Tobias

I did exactly the following to verify everything.

1. I downloaded the all-in-one squeak distribution from
http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip
$ wget 'http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip'
$ unzip Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.zip
$ cd Squeak-4.5-All-In-One
$ ./squeak.sh

2. I clicked on the logo, and then "Update Squeak". A window with
progress bars and Transcript showed up. Waiting...
3. A window with the title: "Warning" and the following content showed
up:
About to serialize an empty package.

Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the
operation.
4. I clicked Proceed. The update continued. A window with the title
"Note:" and the following content showed up:
Update completed.
Current update number: 13703
5. I clicked OK and closed Transcript.
6. I clicked Tools->Browser, scrolled down to the end of the leftmost
list, rightclicked and chose "add item...". I entered XYZ and clicked
Accept.
7. I changed NameOfSubclass to XYZ and CTRL-s
8. I rightclicked on the XYZ class and chose "rename class...". I
entered "ABC" and clicked "Accept(s)".
9. An exception message showed up with the title:
"MessageNotUnderstood: ABC class>>updateMethodBindingsTo:"
The source of the exception is the line:
	aClass updateMethodBindingsTo: newBinding.
of: Environment>>renameClass:from:to:
10. An exception message showed up with the title:
"MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>superclass".
The source of the exception is the line:
		childs := col select: [:class | class isTrait not and:
[class superclass = ea]].
of: Browser>>createHierarchyTreeOf:
11. I clicked on the logo and "About Squeak". The Squeak version is:
#13703

That's it. My operating system is Gentoo Linux.

Please tell me the first step which is different in your case.

Mateusz