[squeak-dev] bad UI bug introduced with recent list highlightiong changes.

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 23:36:27 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 03.04.2015, at 00:43, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> >     since the hover highlight changes, where the list element under the
> mouse that would be selected if one clicks is highlighted in light blue
> appears to have caused a bad bug.  If one does a right-button clock to
> bring up a menu the system can end up selecting the item under the mouse
> before putting up the menu.  This is *wrong*.  The mouse click to bring up
> a menu should /not/ change the selection.
>
> The rightclick must change the selection, at
> least _temporarily_ to highlight for what item the menu is constructed.

The menu is constructed for *the selected item*, not for the item under the
mouse click.   Try this.  Run the debugger on a large class.  In the
instance variables list type some chaacter to select inst vars beginning
with that name, then select one, then try and issue a right-click to
explore the selected inst var.  Poof, the filtered inst vars disappear, to
be replaced by all inst vars, and then explore applies to some completely
unintended selection that isn't even in the list one thought one was
selecting from.

Please, please, please fix this quickly.  The system is /very/ difficult
for me to use right now.

> Else, we need a kind-of “second selection”

No we don't.  Issuing a red button/left button click changes selections.
Issuing *other* mouse button clicks *should not*.  Right?  It's simple.
Right?

--
best,
Eliot