[squeak-dev] How to draw nice and fast window shadows?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Apr 4 11:43:41 UTC 2015

Hey, there!

...coming from here: http://forum.world.st/Hi-DPI-Check-tp4817402.html

Is there some algorithmic guru out there, who knows or could imagine how to
draw nice-looking window shadows in Squeak?

My two cents: Shadow drawing is expensive... caching is inevitable... window
resizing would slow down anyway...

Why am I asking this? We should/could get rid of all system windows having
this small shadow but think about how to highlight the currently active
window better with a nice shadow like this:

http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/clean_up_shadows_in_leopard_screenshots.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/121834/how-to-re-enable-the-mouse-pointer-drop-shadow-in-windows-8/

..hmmm... would this be a "killer application" for thinking about HW
graphics acceleration in Squeak? :-D

Best,
Marcel