[squeak-dev] Re: How to draw nice and fast window shadows?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Apr 4 17:17:59 UTC 2015

I’m really not a fan of fake shadows around windows and *really* not  for menus. I don’t much like menus having icons either; they don’t add anything except space and time-to-open.

It seems to me to be a relic of an attempt to make computer screens look like paper-based desks in order to convince people that these new-fangled computy-thingies are useful. Well, we all know that now. This degree of fake-realism skeuomorphism simply isn’t needed here.

What *is* important is minimal clutter, maximum speed (anything that slows down a modern desktop machine is decidedly overdoing it!) and appropriate affordances to make discovering (and recalling) function reasonably easy.

tim
Oxymorons: Same difference