[squeak-dev] The Inbox: ShoutCore-cmm.45.mcz

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Tue Apr 7 09:15:26 UTC 2015

On 06.04.2015, at 22:52, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:

> A new version of ShoutCore was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/ShoutCore-cmm.45.mcz

> Name: ShoutCore-cmm.45
> Author: cmm
> Time: 6 April 2015, 5:52:19.582 pm
> UUID: 7f2c4864-c8d9-4f51-8553-23db02266ad0
> Ancestors: ShoutCore-cmm.44
>
> - Added subdued version of Shout colors proposed in cmm.44.
> - #defaultStyleTable is misnamed because it was was not the default.  Renamed it to #brightStyleTable.
> - Simplify help text for #subduedSyntaxHighlights.

Did you integrate you changes into the subdued style now?
Please leave the subdued style.
	Maybe we should allow for several styles?

Personally, I don't like the color choice yo are proposing, too much green,
too hard to figure out at a glance the proportions of the following concepts:

"direct access" (instvars, classes, formerly black) vs
"messages" (formerly blueish),
"self/supers" (formerly reddish)

The proportions of the three rather distinct colors gave me a subconscious hint,
whether the method was idiomatic or not…

Also, please be very careful with underlining. The once only bolded message name
is now bold AND green AND underlined. Thats a tad too much attention. Moreover,
UML uses underlining for 'static methods' aka class methods. this could be confusing.

Don't get me wrong, I _like_ a variety of syntax highlighting styles, we
should support that better. I, however, don't think it is a good idea to
override a relatively accustomed style just because "it's time for a change".

:)

Best
	-Tobias