[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: Tools-cmm.601.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 15:33:18 UTC 2015

> -1 on the code duplication in HierarchyBrowser>>openSystemCatEditString: ...
> :-/

Its similar, but not actually duplicate.  I thought about trying to
factor out some of the common portions into new methods but the widget
specs are specified as literal-Array's  for a reason (user
readability) and there really is no benefit to making more methods
until there is some basis for reuse there.  But there are no other
dependencies on this code.

> Why don't you change the way "singleton-browsers" are displayed in general?
> I would not make this specific to the HierarchyBrowser.

The only other one is FileContents right?  But it _needs_ its
"CatList" to be able to file in the whole file.  So this is really not
anything about "Cats" and so this actually reveals what a bad
generalization openSystemCatEditString: is in the first place, IMO.

Besides being a bad generalization and badly named ("cat" instead of
"category"), did you notice that none of the implementations use the
"aString" argument and most senders pass in nil?  Crapola..  :)

> "Let the new layout frame for FileContentsBrowser play nicely with the
> horizontal smart-splitter algorithm; by not making a one-line list." --> The
> splitter should not be there if the list has a fixed height. This is a bug
> in SystemWindow >> #addPaneSplitters. We should really fix that bug.

You know from my private email this is what this change is about.  If
we can do another acceptable solution that would be fine with me..