[squeak-dev] The squeaksource.com welcome page needs an update

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Aug 4 12:41:15 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 11:35:14PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> The first paragraph says, "Welcome to SqueakSource", why should the
> second paragraph recommend users to go elsewhere?
>
> I miss the clean, welcoming, original look of SqueakSource.  Does
> anyone remember why those confusing messages were put there in the
> first place?

At one time, there was an announced plan to shut down the service. The
warning messages were added at that time.

I'm happy either way, although I do think that some kind of message
encouraging folks to consider other services is still appropriate. After
all, we are not trying to attract a lot of new users to squeaksource.com,
the emphasis is on maintaining the reliability and availibility of the
existing service.

> PS -- we should ask Pharo if they prefer to have "and Pharo" removed
> too so it doesn't create confusion for their users if have moved on
> from Squeaksource.

The squeaksource.com service is quite actively used by the Pharo community.
Maybe we get get some input from the Pharo perspective (this message is
cross posted to both lists). From my point of view, it seems good to
say "for Squeak and Pharo" here.

Dave