[squeak-dev] Image cannot grow beyond 500Mb

Tapple Gao tapplek at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 13:24:57 UTC 2015

I am trying to use Moose to do run graph algorithms on data with about 300,000 nodes. This data is map data downloaded from OpenStreetMap, and I am trying to analyze it with the Moose-Analysis-Graphs package. However, it seems completely unable to handle this, partially due to unoptimized algorithms, but mostly due to memory limits of the VM or image itself.

I am using the vm and image of the moose one-click image for mac: http://www.moosetechnology.org/#install <http://www.moosetechnology.org/#install> . I believe this is a pharo vm and image, I don’t know if pharo and squeak are still different these days, or if it matters. Been out of squeak for a few years

This platform is seemingly unable to use more than about 500Mb of memory. I watch it in mac’s activity monitor. Once it reaches about 450Mb as measured by activity monitor, it is spending nearly all it’s time in the garbage collector, (as measured by activity monitor’s Sample Process tool). The most I’ve seen it eventually reach is 556Mb, after about an hour, then it does a hard VM crash (Pharo has quit unexpectedly).

Is there a way to remedy this? I tried running the image in 4 alternative VM’s:
- The latest pharo mac vm from http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/mac/ <http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo/mac/> . Same issue as above. likely the same vm
- Cocoa Cog vm from http://squeakvm.org/mac/ <http://squeakvm.org/mac/> : crashed at startup. could not load image
- Cocoa Stack vm from http://squeakvm.org/mac/ <http://squeakvm.org/mac/> : crashed at startup; could not load image
- Carbon Stack vm from http://squeakvm.org/mac/ <http://squeakvm.org/mac/> : refused to start

Is it possible to allocate more than 500Mb of memory to squeak?