[squeak-dev] Update stream transition

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Aug 10 23:10:55 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 09:47:46AM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> > We currently have the trunk update stream, which is governed by update maps
> > called 'update' in the source.squeak.org/trunk repository. This update
> > stream is applicable to Squeak images up to the initial release of the
> > Squeak 4.6 image. These are images in the non-Spur image formats (6504
> > or 6505 for 32-bit images, and 68002 for a 64-bit image).
>
> The .spur branch has already been collapsed onto trunk.  There is no
> way to advance a non-spur image except through commits to the release
> repositories (e.g., 'squea46').
>
> > During the development period leading up to Squeak 5.0, which uses the
> > new Spur image (format number 6521 for the 32-bit Spur image), the
> > update stream has been governed by update maps called 'update.spur' in
> > source.squeak.org/trunk.
> >
> > For Squeak 5.0, the update stream will continue to be governed by update
> > maps called 'update' in the source.squeak.org/trunk repository. Users of
> > Squeak 5.0 will see a normal trunk update stream from that point forward,
> > and will now be using the Spur image format.
>
> Yes.
>
> > For Squeak 4.6, the update stream will continue to be called 'update',
> > but will now be in the source.squeak.org/squeak46 repository. These update
> > maps are not yet in the squeak46 repository,
>
> I just made the first one in 'squeak46'.
>
> > but will be added as required.
> > The Squeak 4.6 release image points to this update stream. An effort will
> > be made to keep the squeak46 update stream in sync with trunk through the
> > next Squeak release cycle.
>
> Oh really, who is going to do that?

I fully understand that nothing gets done unless someone actually puts
in the effort to do it. Within reasonable limits, this is something that
I am willing to work on through the course of the next release cycle. I
am expecting that this means 6 to 12 months, depending on how long it takes
to go through another release cycle.

My assumptions were, and still are, as follows:

1) We are moving the main trunk development to the new Spur image format
for Squeak 5.0.  This is not a reversible change. Some things may break,
but we are going to make it work and we are going to make it successful.

2) We will attempt to do this during a transition period of one release
cycle (whatever that might turn out to be). This allows us to learn
during the transition period, and to work out any unanticipated problems.
During that time period, we will make an effort to keep the classic image
format (Squeak 4.6) healthy. My own assumption is that this should include
a working update stream.

3) We will not rely on Eliot to do all the work. Once we get to Squeak
5.0 with Spur, other people (such as me) need to step forward if any
backward compatibility with non-Spur images is going to be maintained.
If nobody does it, then it will not get done.

Hopefully these are reasonable objectives, and from my point of view
I will be happy to put some time and effort into objective #3 in the
coming months.

Having said that, I do not actually know *how* to maintain an update
stream for 4.6 to track the main trunk 5.0 stream.

Dave