[squeak-dev] Seaside 64-bit

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu Aug 20 13:59:24 UTC 2015

Hi Chris

Sorry that this is a rather late email.

On 07.08.2015, at 17:14, Chris Cunnington <brasspen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>

> It's none of my business what is or is not on squeak.org. But you're statement is kind of confusing to me, so for the sake of my own clarity of mind, I've deduced the following. Here are the two side by side:
>
> "squeak.org/projects page"
>
> Installer squeaksource project: 'MetacelloRepository'; install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3'.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) load.

This is correct and maintained.

> "Menu>>Extending The System"
>
> (Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository') install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30'.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.
> (Smalltalk at: #WAPharoServerAdaptorBrowser) open.

This is outdated.

> You will notice that in MetacelloRepository there is both ConfigurationOfSeaside30 and ConfigurationOfSeaside3. The former has its last entry on 10 Sept. 2013. The later has its first entry at 25 Sept. 2013. It's first entry message from Esteban Lorenzano is instructive:
>
> "- 3.1 was not loading any adaptor. Added Seaside-Adaptor (not tested outside Pharo)"
>
> It looks to me like ConfigurationOfSeaside3 is better suited for Pharo and ConfigurationOfSeaside30 is better suited to Squeak. This is supported by the inclusion of ConfigurationOfSeaside30 in Menu>>ExtendingTheSystem which is already proven to work.

No no no. ConfigurationOfSeaside30 is unmaintained as of now.
By default, ConfigurationOfSeaside3 has _no_ adaptor, as the installation cannot know,
whether you want, FastCGI, Comanche, Comet, or WebServer. That's why it has to be explicit.

Also, by default it does not load the dev tools, which is ok, as the Config is used for
automated testing and deployment.

There is, however, a 'OneClick' group that loads a lot of interesting stuff:

 #('Development' 'Welcome' 'RSS-Examples' 'Seaside-Email' 'Seaside-Examples' 'Seaside-Tools-Web' 'WebClient')

(where WebClient would load a usable adaptor!)
That's how I built the 4.4-Seaside-3.0.8 AllInOne (http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/seaside/)

That's why the correct version for Squeak 4.5/5.0 is

====
(Installer repository: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main')
    install: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3'.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load.
"Or
  ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside3) project version: #stable) load: 'OneClick'
for the jumpstart experience
"
====

and for the website it's

====
Metacello new
    configuration: 'Seaside3';
    repository: 'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
    version: #stable;
    load: 'OneClick'.
"Make sure you have Metacello installed."
====

Best regards
	-Tobias

PS: If I find time after my vacation, I'll probably build a 5.0-Seaside-3.2 AIO…