[squeak-dev] #instSize in Squeak 5 seems to be broken for Traits

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 17:31:51 UTC 2015

Hi Max,

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Max Leske <maxleske at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I’ve been trying to load Fuel into Squeak 5 but can’t because I get errors
> when loading Traits (they have not instance variables). The reason for this
> error seems to be that #instSize answers 2 for Traits when it should answer
> 0.
>
> The current implementation is:
>
> ^format bitAnd: 16rFFFF
>
> The comment in the 4.6 version says:
>
> "
>         NOTE: This code supports the backward-compatible extension to 8
> bits of instSize.
>         When we revise the image format, it should become...
>         ^ ((format bitShift: -1) bitAnd: 16rFF) - 1
>         Note also that every other method in this category will require
>         2 bits more of right shift after the change.
>>
> When I use that version in TraitBehaviour>>instSize in Squeak 5 I get 0 as
> expected and I can load Fuel without problems.

So Spur has a different layout for format than V3.  The above
implementation (format bitAnd: 16rFFFF) is correct for Spur.  In loading
classes or traits via Fuel from 4.6 to 5.0 you're going to have to convert
the format inst var to reflect its usage in Spur.  So we need to be clear
here.

Is the issue that you're trying to load classes and/or traits from a Fuel
file written by 4.6 or is it that as part of the Fuel load a new Trait gets
created which has a format of 2?

--
best, Eliot