[squeak-dev] Name change: Mushroom ( was Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto)

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 16:12:47 UTC 2015

It seemed to me that smalltalk has always had the opportunity to avoid the
pitfalls of packaging that product-oriented projects are concerned with.
This seems tied up with the contradictory relation between the
(democratically) relatedness of ideas and the (capitalist) constraints of
money.

If you look at a page of text, there are no namespaces.  There are no use
of words with arbitrarily assigned word-forms.  The spaces (relations) are
between the words (and even between the letters).  The accessibility is
largely subjective (knowing the meaning of a word), the accessibility is
not a package.

It seems to me that the practice of giving a package a vivid or redolent
name (which may have nothing to do with its etymology) is falling into the
package mentality twice over -- not only is a package built, but it is then
sold through the imitation of a viral meme.

So I would say that its "hidden" nature is of more magnitude than that.

But as Ben says.  Anyway, maybe I overplay its significance.

Best,
Huw