[Pharo-dev] [squeak-dev] Re: [Unicode] Class Unicode --> data from unicode.org

Martin Bähr mbaehr at email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 7 16:06:04 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Martin Bähr's message of 2015-12-07 16:17:28 +0100:
> randal schwartz suggests a cleanroom approach, though i personally think that
> is overkill. if a cleanroom approach were really necessary than i would never
> be allowed to switch jobs because once i have been working on one companys
> private code i would be tainted for life, as i could accidentally reproduce the
> same code in my next job.
>
> however, either you get the GNU-smalltalk authors to relicense their unicode
> classes under the MIT license, or they will need to be rewritten from scratch.
>
> i would suggest asking them in the name of having a common code-base for all
> smalltalks.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-January/123817.html
is worth reading in that context:

  So it's mainly an issue of being willing to cooperate.  I think all GNU
  Smalltalk people (almost all?) are and it's also true at least for some
  Squeak people.  If somebody took a package (several thousands lines of
  code, etc.) wholesale, ported it to Squeak, and licensed it under MIT on
  SqueakMap that would be copyright violation.  But everything can be done
  "cum grano salis".  Nobody is going to sue you if you copy an interface
  from GNU Smalltalk, reimplement in Squeak (for fun!), but you did look
  at the method comments in GNU Smalltalk -- and OMG maybe you got a
  glimpse of the source code just below!  Copyright does not protect
  having similar implementations.

  I think we're all for interoperability and for exchange of opinions
  within the communities.

so there you have the open invitation to go and ask...

and read this
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-January/123838.html
for a good summary on the issue.

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life