[squeak-dev] Re: [Cuis] Sorting Unicode strings (Re: [Unicode] collation sequences (Re: Unicode Support))

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Wed Dec 9 22:00:07 UTC 2015

On 12/09/2015 12:44 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:
> On 08-12-15 22:35, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>> What I meant is that you can't _always_ use the code point for
>> collation, i.e., sorting based on the value of code points is not always
>> correct[1].
>
> I have given up on universal sorting when I learned that dutch
> libraries sorting of author names depends on the country of origin of
> the author. So if Jan van Beek is dutch he will be sorted under B,
> while if he's belgian under V. I haven't checked what happens if the
> author emigrates, or changes nationality...
>
> Stephan

Well, with ICU (and GemStone's implementation) you can choose which
collator to use (Country specific) at the image level or on a comparison
by comparison bases ... for example for an indexed collection (Unicode)
Strings, you can choose the collator to use for that particular index
... so while it's true that universal sorter is not possible, it is
possible to choose a collator that will satisfy a particlar customer ....

Dale