[squeak-dev] potential to include cryptography in base image

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Dec 16 03:02:23 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 05:00:12AM -0500, Robert Withers wrote:
> It was suggested to me that I write to the list and raise the question
> about cryptography being included in the base image. Really I have 3
> questions I would ask you all:
>
> 1. is it desirable to include cryptography?
> 2. is it feasible to include cryptography?
> 3. what is the time frame for including cryptography?

I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to include it in the base image,
versus maintain it in an external package that can be easily loaded
from SqueakMap. Either way, I think we should get it updated on
SqueakMap first so that more people can (and hopefully will) load
it in their images, run the tests, and get experience with it. FWIW,
I personally tend to favor maintaining packages externally in cases
where we have an interest in supporting the package on various
kinds of images, such as Squeak/Cuis/Pharo.

Robert, are you in a position to update the SqueakMap entries? Currently
they are "crypto", "Cryptography", and "Cryptography Team Package". They
are all out of date, and I'm not sure who owns which version. We should
pick one of them as the official one, and update it so that it loads the
latest version (Cryptography-rww.49) into a Squeak 4.6 or 5.0 image.

It is of course quite easy to load Cryptography directly from squeaksource,
but there are quite a few packages in that repository that may seem confusing
for someone loading Cryptography for the first time, so I think a one-click
download from SqueakMap would be helpful.

Dave