[squeak-dev] CurrentReadOnlySourceFiles annoys me ...

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Dec 16 23:29:35 UTC 2015

> On 16-12-2015, at 2:43 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
>
> My objection is that concurrent access of the read-only source files would cause race conditions.
> We might simplify the thing by using the regular source files (or some shared read-only copies) when requested from the UI process, and create a read-only copy for all other processes. That would cover most potential slow-downs in the Trunk.

One of the best ways to avoid file read (and many write) issues would be to get rid of the {deletable expletive} stupid separate move & read/write operations. If the primitive were readBytes: num from: file to: buffer at: startposition and so on a lot of problems could not exist. It’s like error codes being found via a distinct api instead of being returned directly - a catastrophe waiting to happen.

tim
This is all a lot simpler and a lot more complicated than you could possibly imagine