[squeak-dev] A Suggested Promotion

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Wed Dec 23 12:53:04 UTC 2015

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote on squeak-dev:
>>In fact, it could be an extremely stripped down Linux focused exclusively
>>on running Squeak (like Dan Ingalls did for his weather station). One
>>advantage of that is that the boot time would be much smaller than what
>>people are used to.

John Hylands wrote on squeak-dev
>My brother and I have been experimenting with Tiny Core Linux, which is
>available on the Pi as piCore.
>
>It boots in 12 seconds, from power on to login prompt, on a Pi 2. That
>gives you wifi plus an openssh server. It would probably add a few seconds
>to get a graphical shell running, which it also includes.

Note that for Pharo there is a project from Mike Filonov (owner of pharocloud.com) which
was initially called "PharoNOS". It is also based on TinyCore Linux, here x86 based
directly booting into Pharo. A description and an downloadable ISO is available on [1].
Runs fine on VirtualBox.

>From the name often people thought it was a project similar to "SqueakNOS" (but SqueakNOS boots
into Squeak and needed no Linux or other underneath as even the drivers were
written in Smalltalk). I guess therefore Mike renamed the project to "Pharocloud OS" now,
he also made the build scripts available on [2].

I also did some experiments with Pharo on the Pi - described in an article on [3].
The result was similar: directly booting into the Pharo environment/ a Smalltalk
application - but on the Pi. There is Raspbian underneath. A video is available on [4].

However: if there is now some interest in having a fast and direct Squeak/Pharo booting
         on the Pi maybe this could be a shared effort between both communities as well.

Beside squeak-dev I therefore CC the pharo-dev mailinglist as well.

Bye
T.

[1] http://pillarhub.pharocloud.com/hub/mikefilonov/pharonos
[2] http://os.pharocloud.com