[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] New Cog VMs available

Douglas McPherson djm1329 at san.rr.com
Mon Feb 2 20:02:49 UTC 2015

---- tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 02-02-2015, at 9:24 AM, Douglas McPherson <djm1329 at san.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > ARMv6 stack/v3 and stack/spur VMs updated accordingly.
>
> We’ll soon be adding ARMv7 quadcore Pi support -
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/
>
> I’ve been using one for some time now and it is certainly nicely faster. The multiple cores make quite a difference to overall system performance even if Squeak can’t directly take advantage. The memory interface seems faster too.

I was going to ask you about this as I saw the RPi 2 announcement today. I figured you probably already had one :)

I haven’t been building the ARMv7 VMs recently since there is something broken in the ARM fast BitBlt enhancements for ARMv7, which I haven’t had time to look into. Have you been able to make any improvements to that?  (There’s also some potential issues noted by Ken Dickey regarding atomic operations).

Doug