[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] ||

Stephan Eggermont stephan at stack.nl
Sat Feb 7 08:41:19 UTC 2015

On 05/02/15 16:52, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 5 February 2015 at 15:35, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>> Rebuilding the whole AST after every keystroke is possible, but keeping it
>> real-time is a bit challenging.
>>
>> I would love to see an editor, which works on the AST directly - aka it maps
>> the source code to AST nodes, and just updates the smallest possible subtree
>> at each keystroke. Implementing such editor has it's challenges ofc, like
>> typing a single character can invalidate the whole code, but the editor
>> should keep the AST somehow in that case too.
>
> C#'s Roslyn does this:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericlippert/archive/2012/06/08/persistence-facades-and-roslyn-s-red-green-trees.aspx

This is an interesting approach. Their problem is not just updating the
AST after every keystroke but keeping usable performance when doing code
rewriting/refactoring.

My first Macintosh, a SE/30 with a 16 MHz 68030, was able to do this
with Think Pascal (by Mel Conway) 25 years ago. On my next machine,
a 25 MHz 68040LC was fast enough...

Stephan