[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak Oversight Board 2015 Elections

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Feb 10 08:45:26 UTC 2015

Hi, everyone. :)

I'd like to run for the Squeak Oversight Board this time.

I have a strong interest in improving Squeak's user experience. This does
not necessarily mean to introduce all the features known from mainstream
programming environments such as Eclipse. In my PhD thesis, I am exploring
the benefits of live programming systems. Some of those ideas could easily
flow back from that research project [1] into Squeak. ;)

Recently, I joined Squeak's core development team and provided several fixes
and features to the base system, Morphic, and its tools. I collaborated with
Levente to provide an implementation of OrderedDictionary [2], with Elliot
to provide support for long file paths to Windows-related parts of the CogVM
[3], and with Bert to discuss several implementation details/issues in the
base system.

I have been working with Squeak since 2007. Back then, we have created a
small Sokoban clone [4]. Other (research) projects include an issue tracker
with Seaside [5], source code annotation in Morphic [6], and a prototypical
requirements planning tool [7]. Some current side-projects include an
observer framework based on Qt's Signals [8], an animation framework [9],
and a full replacement of Morphic's widgets [10] that makes use of signals.

I enjoy the Squeak community and its discussions on the mailing lists.

To give you an impression of how my current Squeak programming system looks
like:

vivide-squeak.png <http://forum.world.st/file/n4804841/vivide-squeak.png>

Best,
Marcel