[squeak-dev] Re: [Vm-dev] So who broke bitOr: ?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 03:56:45 UTC 2015

On Feb 18, 2015, at 5:21 PM, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:06:41PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>> On a fresh Pi vm (as in svn updated yesterday)
>> 16rFFFF bitOr:(16rFFFF bitShift: 16) ->  -1
>> On a slightly older Mac vm
>> 16rFFFF bitOr:(16rFFFF bitShift: 16) ->  4294967295, aka 16rFFFFFFFF
>>
>> This breaks, amongst other things, Color>bitPatternForDepth:, whcih pretty much trashes an image since that gets used to makes cursor bitmaps as you move the pointer around. Nicely fills your window with notifiers?
>
> It looks like a type declaration and/or slang inlining issue. Back up
> a few versions in VMMaker.oscog and you will probably find the cause.
>
> Eliot has been doing a lot of work related to 64-bit immediates, and you
> may be running some version that introduces a bug in the 32-bit variation
> (just guessing).

Mea culpa.  In getting 64-bit Sour working I broke Slang and that broke the bit logic primitives.  I just committed a working VMMaker.oscog.

Tim, Bert's question was germane.  The oscog VM was broken, not the interpreter one, and you could have said "freshly generated from VMMaker.oscog-???.nnn" ;-)