[squeak-dev] Re: Is there a preference setting to block automatic parentheses?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 17:23:29 UTC 2015

>> If I am blindly typing
>>    (foo)
>> I expect to end up with
>>    (foo)
>>
>> In current Squeak I end up with
>>    (foo))
>> which is clearly wrong and extremely annoying and makes me hate the feature.

Okay, thanks for explaining that.  Sure, that's how eclipse works too.
I figured that's what you meant, but I wasn't sure because wailing
about that is almost harder than simply fixing it.   ;)

Try filing in the attached patch and see if it does what you want.  It
simply checks the next non-whitespace character in front of the cursor
and if its the same closer that was typed, simply advances the cursor
rather than type the closing character.

Eliot wrote:
> +1.  Hate is not too strong a word.  Horribly broken is accurate.

Guys, I thought *I* was the emotional one.  If you reserve such strong
words for things this small then you won't be able to differentiate
from the bigger things.  I've been learning that such words are not
always the most productive way to criticize and can can make others
feel bad..  Lighten up people!  :)

> Given that Smalltalk has had control-enclose for decades that is useful and predictable we don't need something poorly engineered.  Can we either get it right or get rid of it, please?

There is no chance this feature will be removed because it is one of
several necessary components that make up a fantastic suite of
expression-editing functions.  Some people operate by "editing text"
and others by "editing expressions".  This feature is an absolutely
essential component of a group of functions for the latter; along with
Control+enclose, Expression-selection (via Command+[space]), and
Paren-Blinking.  I've put quite a bit of thought into this..

Please check out the attached improvement, and I hope you can switch
your hate to love...   :)