[squeak-dev] Re: Is there a preference setting to block automatic parentheses?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Feb 25 19:59:05 UTC 2015

On 25.02.2015, at 11:12, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Hmm... I guess the user keeps track on what she sees on the screen. Such a
> stack of inserted backets must be discoverable/visible somehow.

No. The user doesn't have to keep track, because the editor does. It's the editor doing magic tricks, so it's the editor's responsibility to keep track of what it did.

Try ACE (http://ace.c9.io), or any editor that gets it Right™.

> @Bert: If you want to type another ) at "bar|))))" then you would miss an
> opening brace.

Huh? I of course would have inserted that opening paren before. Click somewhere in the expression, type "(", click somewhere else, type ")". Why wouldn't it let me do that?

- Bert -