[squeak-dev] Re: The Trunk: Tools-mt.534.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Feb 27 18:02:24 UTC 2015

At the moment, programmers can do three things with message categories:

1. Define their name.
2. Define their content.
3. Define their order.

Naming is already difficult. Finding the right place for a message can be
challenging, too.

The thing is that order gets messed up pretty quickly. For example,
extension categories just popup somewhere in between depending on the
projects you have installed.

My general impression is often that those categories just have *some* order
and *want* to be alphabetized to make any sense out of it. I am not sure but
w/o describing the intent of an order, it may just appear bogus to a
programmer.

Personally, I am really happy with anything that I do not have to organize
or care for. Message category orders are such a thing. :-)

But don't get me wrong: I don't want to push my personal expriences onto
everybody. Let's discuss it here. ;-)

Best,
Marcel