[squeak-dev] Pi compilation question for TIm R.

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Feb 28 19:39:09 UTC 2015

On 28-02-2015, at 11:34 AM, Douglas McPherson <djm1329 at san.rr.com> wrote:

> Speaking for myself, I compile directly on the Pi. I’m pretty sure Tim does the same. He recently told us how blazing fast the compilation on the new 4-core ARMv7 RPi 2 can be :)
>
>> On Feb 28, 2015, at 11:19, gettimothy <gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tim.
>>
>> When building for the Pi, do you compile directly on it? or (as I suspect) do you have to cross-compile to it?

I’ve always built directly on the Pi. I don’t have the patience to faff around with the setting up and surviving cross-compilers. Gcc etc annoys me enough as it is.  A Pi2 compiles the stack vm in a few minutes anyway and with dependencies and other problems fixed it would hardly ever need to do  clean build.

I do of course have to kinda-sorta cross compile for the Cog work, but that’s more a case of building a (hopefully plausible) simulator and running hopeful-cog code on it. We just have to hope that the sim is near enough the real thing...

tim
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.