[squeak-dev] New Cog VMs available

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 05:23:15 UTC 2015

Happy New Year, Eliot,

I’m wondering if I can ask you a question? Owing to my ignorance, it may seem odd.
Here it is: How long has it been since you re-compiled the socket plugin sources? I figure it’s been more than six months.

The confusion I have is that netstyle.ch <http://netstyle.ch/> asked you to make a change to the Cog sources, which you did. [1]
Now, to me, this suggests to me that every subsequent Linux Cog vm in mirandaband would have the systemd capability they asked for.
But that’s not my experience.
See, the SVN sources have what I want, but I have the impression that your binaries do not.
The reason I can infer anything about your compilation process is that I added the netstyle.ch <http://netstyle.ch/> diff file [2] and compiled my own interpreter vm. And it works on my Ubuntu laptop. Just like the netstyle.ch <http://netstyle.ch/> video.
So i thought to myself: “How could it be that there’s a difference between the Cog sources and the vm binaries at mirandabanda?”

And I figured it was that you don't recompile everything every time you make a change. You probably have an army of foo.o object files sitting unchanged for long periods of time.
And netstyle.ch <http://netstyle.ch/> being netstyle.ch <http://netstyle.ch/> they can compile their own Cog vm, which they probably have done.
So, again, how long has it been since you re-compiled the plugin sources? Any answer you could give to this question will no doubt prove extremely illuminating to me.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

[1] ProvidedTCPSocketType
http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms/unix/plugins/SocketPlugin/sqUnixSocket.c?revision=3040&view=markup <http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms/unix/plugins/SocketPlugin/sqUnixSocket.c?revision=3040&view=markup>
[2]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-July/179015.html <http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2014-July/179015.html>