[squeak-dev] How do I create SqueakMap package for loading an MCConfiguration?

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Sat Jan 17 13:53:52 UTC 2015

I've had quite an odyssey to come to my present understanding of the
SqueakMap package loader. The way I now understand it is as follows:

 1.   SqueakMap packages can be seen in the middle-left list pane of
    SqueakMap Package Loader. The context menu in this pane filters
    which packages to show. The bottom-left list pane appears to be
    another selection filter. I deselect all to avoid surprises.
 2. Details about the selected package are shown in the right pane.
 3. A selected SqueakMap package can contain releases. Available
    releases are listed below the package name in the  SqueakMap Package
    Loader.  A new release  can be created though the context menu of a
    selected package: "Create new Release". (There are more alternatives
    that I haven't investigated.)
 4. Details about a selected release are shown in the right pane. One
    detail shown for every release is called "/Download: <URL>/". The
    URL identifies a file that specifies the installation. I have seen
    an .st file that will be executed as a doIt, and a .sar file that
    contains 3 .st files: a preamble, an installation file, and a
    postscript.
 5. One command available for a selected release is "Edit release".
    This opens a "fill-in-the-form" called a Release browser. Most
    fields are explained by hovering the mouse above the field. The
    exception is the bottom field; it can contain a script for the
    installation. I haven't found a good explanation for this script
    anywhere. I first thought it wasn't important because most releases
    shown in the package loader leave the script empty.  I now see the
    field as an input field. Fill it with executable Squeak code and
    save it. It will then be transformed into file, stored somewhere,
    and become retrievable through the URL in the "/Download: <URL>///".
    This scheme seems extremely powerful but only for the person who
    knows the various installation mechanisms.

      * Chris pointed me to a script statement for downloading a
        SqueakSource package known by its URL. e.g.,
                (Installer repository:
        'http://www.squeaksource.com/DCI') install: 'BBAllInOne-TRee.18' .
        this happens to be an  Monticello configuration file,
        BBAllInOne-TRee.18.mcm.
      * Another statement I have seen is
                  SMSqueakMap default installPackageNamed: '<name>'
        version: '<version>'
        I couldn't make it work for me, but suspect that the package
        shall be stored as a versioned file in SqueakMap itself.

This is as far as I've got. I hope somebody will correct the explanation
where it is wrong so that other people may make use of it.  I would have
been spared considerable time and frustration if I had seen it a couple
of weeks ago.

Cheers
--Trygve

--

The essence of object orientation is that
objects collaborate to achieve a goal.