[squeak-dev] Studies on group effectiveness

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jan 17 14:43:01 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 05:23:25AM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/18/opinion/sunday/why-some-teams-are-smarter-than-others.html
>
> The studies find that smart teams are distinguished by three characteristics,
> sharing time evenly between members, being good at reading each other's
> emotional states, and having more women.  On-line groups are distinguished
> by the /same/ three characteristics.

Eliot,

Thanks for sharing this link. As we were discussing in the Squeak
oversight board meeting last week, getting more women involved in the
community, as well as promoting an overall feeling of inclusiveness,
is really important.  It is not just a matter of being fair with
people, it is very much a matter of having a more effective and
productive community.

I am probably older than most of the folks on this list. I am not, and
never have been, a software engineer. But I do have a lot of experience
leading and participating in technical teams in industry. The conclusions
in this article are 100% consistent with my personal experience.

If I could advise an aspiring young software engineer to read just
one paper to improve their chances of success in business and industry,
this would be it.

Dave